[UFO Chicago] remote desktop software

Matthew T. Gibbs mtgibbs at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 16:09:00 PST 2009

Hi John-

It looks like the site that you found covers the performance and security issues of VNC and RDP.  My suggestion for a Linux remote desktop would be the NoMachine NX software, which basically automates tunneling an X desktop session over SSH and has both Windows and Linux clients.  I've found that it's both secure and fast.  Another option would be RDP over SSH.  From my experience RDP performs better than VNC and I believe that there is an RDP component for the X server, though I've not used it personally.  I have used KRDC to access Windows RDP servers and it works very well.

There is a caveat to all of this though - many corporate firewalls block SSH and likely also block simple VNC and RDP connections.  Of course, your mileage may vary, but I've not had good luck with this.

HTH

Matt