[UFO Chicago] Solaris 10 vs. Linux: Get the Real TCO Facts (fwd)

Daniel Kelly daniel.jp.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:53:45 PDT 2009

Alright guys, so I have a fresh install of OpenSolaris 2008.05 (.11 has some
bugs with my laptop which are documented and not worth dealing with).  So,
overall I like it but can one of you direct me to some information on how to
compile linux or bsd programs for this OS?  I'd like to compile SyncTerm (
http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/) for it.  I'm not sure I even have to since I
see a Solaris binary there, but it looks like its a Sparc binary so I can't
use it.  There are also Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD binaries and of
course source code.  The source code doesn't have ready made configure
scripts and makefiles, and I don't know how to set up the build
environment.  Anyone know any good guides or faqs out there?

Thanks,
Dan Kelly