[UFO Chicago] Linux netbooks recommendation

Daniel Kelly daniel.jp.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:12:44 PDT 2009

Hey guys,

I'd like to throw my two cents in.  First off, as a netbook brand I like
Asus the best based on my experience with them as a company and also because
of the overall aesthetics that their products generally have.  They do offer
an Asus netbook at Target for <$300:
http://www.target.com/ASUS-8-9-Netbook-Computer-Linux/dp/B001E1J1R2. I think
it's an awesome idea to have no moving parts (aside from fans) in any mobile
device. Notebook hard drives go bad fast if you're carrying them around all
the time regardless of how well they were made.

I'd also reccommend getting the 6-cell battery if you can find it.  That
will provide you with a lot longer usage time, around 8 hours I think -
possibly more.  As for the keyboard you could always get one of those ultra
slim ones - or make your own!
http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/08/13/diy-wafer-thin-keyboard/

Also, as for me the iPhone seems to take care of what I need to do. My 3GS
is very fast and awesome, not to mention jailbroken.  I have all my favorite
command line apps installed (nano, wget, etc.). I'm still considering a
netbook though, but i'll admit it is rather hard to write a document on the
iPhone!

-Dan