[UFO Chicago] OT: UFO Book Club--The Prophecy of Fahrenheit 451

Neil Ormos H ormos at ripco.com
Tue Jan 13 22:19:06 PST 2009

For the last few years, I've asserted that Ray
Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" precisely nailed the
Zeitgeist of the early 21st Century by divining,
55 years or so ahead, an indifferent and aloof
populace lulled into a stupor by wall-sized TVs
and music delivered through little ear buds.  But
nit-pickers quarrelled that '451 missed its mark
because we still hadn't seen firefighters who
started their own fires.

Those heretofore unpersuaded of the brilliance of
Bradburian prophecy may find this news article
convincing:

|> Four firefighters have been arrested on
|> suspicion of igniting between 15 and 20 fires
|> in western Arizona so they could get paid for
|> fighting them, officials said Tuesday. [...]

  <http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hzHu4jEP-WbdHrM8AgFEh3ULk49AD95MJUBG0>

--Neil