[UFO Chicago] implementing internal DNS

Politik Durden politikdurden at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 13:48:55 PDT 2009

This may be slightly off topic but I have a feeling that the solution involves some open source tools:

I have 8 clients with a mix of wireless and wired. Mix of Macs and PCs. OSes running are MacOS, Windows, and one Fedora 11 box.

All clients DHCP to a Motorola WR850G wireless access point/router/kitchen sink device, with some clients using the wired ports.

This device then DHCP's to my cable modem connected to our Comcast broadband service.

I want internal users to have certain urls resolve to internal resources (a web server, nas device, print server, whatever). How do I set this up ? I want a centralized solution so I don't have to make changes to each client. Is there a way for me to create some sort of poor mans DNS table and have all clients check this table first, before going to an external DNS server ? Generally speaking, do those kitchen sink/gateway/router/DHCP/everything boxes have this kind of functionality ?  Or am I going to have to run an internal DNS server ? That just sounds way too scary so I'm hoping someone has an easier solution.

Thanks in advance for your input :-)