[UFO Chicago] basesystem is needed by glibc-2.8.90-12 --- but which one?

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Mon Oct 27 01:54:56 PDT 2008

Wishing to install the latest version of Skype, I invoke the command
  rpm -i skype-2.0.0.72-suse.i586.rpm
and obtain the message
  libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by skype-2.0.0.72-suse

Rpmfind.net locates glibc-2.8.90-12.i686.rpm, and an "rpm -i" command
on that file produces the message
  basesystem is needed by glibc-2.8.90-12

Once again rpmfind.net is consulted, and I am informed of
basesystem-2008.0-7mdv2008.1.i586.rpm, described as "The skeleton
package which defines a simple Mandriva Linux system", of
basesystem-8.1-1.noarch.rpm, described as "The skeleton package which
defines a simple Fedora system", and of basesystem-8.0-2.noarch.rpm,
described as "The skeleton package which defines a simple Red Hat Linux
system". Alas, I am using, as indicated above, a SuSe system, neither
Mandriva nor Fedora nor RedHat. Which basesystem shall I install, so
that I can install glibc-2.8.90-12.i686.rpm, so that I can install
skype-2.0.0.72-suse.i586.rpm?

Also -- will installing glibc-2.8.90-12.i686.rpm in fact satisfy the
requirement for libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)? A while ago, after installing
a new version of gcc from source, I had to perform some wizardry on
my system, the exact details of which I do not recall, because of the
following phenomenon:

  $ cc example.c
  /lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to `_dl_out_of_memory at GLIBC_PRIVATE'
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

  $ /usr/local/bin/cc example.c

  $ /usr/local/bin/cc --version
  cc (GCC) 4.2.1

  $ /usr/bin/cc --version
  cc (GCC) 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)

In other words, installing gcc 4.2.1 in /usr/local/bin has rendered
the original gcc in /usr/bin useless. It may be that the bizarre need
for "libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)" is already met by libraries that I have
already installed from source -- but, even if true, that is of little
comfort, as the rpm database has no knowledge of what one installs
from source. I know about "rpm -i --nodeps", but one must not venture
there unless one is sure of the way, for the path there is dark, and
beset on all sides with mortal dangers.

I had no idea that installing the latest version of Skype would be so
intricate a problem. What help can you give me toward solving it? I
thank you in advance for your replies.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"