[UFO Chicago] looking to purchase a bare bones box

Politik Durden politikdurden at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 17:04:56 PST 2008

Somewhat off topic, looking  to upgrade from a 500Mhz Celeron to a somewhat decent box.

What I'm looking for:

Pentium 4 or better, at least 1 GHz
~ 1G RAM
- at least 2 open bays and at least 3 open slots

flexible on the above but the closer the better

I have drives, cards to swap out so a homebrew would be ideal but if it's got some built ins (NIC or sound card) that would be cool, too.

And to keep it somewhat on topic, it would be handy if the box is Linux friendly. Looking to spend $200-$250. price is negotiable for extra goodies

pricewatch has some pretty good bare bones but I figure I'd get more bang for the buck buying from a trusted local source.