[UFO Chicago] Meeting Notes: MUAs, Bill Joy and the Future

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Fri Aug 29 08:54:43 PDT 2008

First, per our discussion of "all MUAs suck", I am giving pine a spin
again.  Took me awhile to figure it out since they don't distribute binary
packages and the alternative, 'alpine', was listed as alpha quality.  But
it's fun to use pine again.

Second, the book I was discussing was Next: The Future Just Happened by
Michael Lewis.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10656.Next_The_Future_Just_Happened

The last chapter was the most interesting one -- where he discusses the
idea of 'colonizing the future' and quotes Bill Joy quoting the Unabomber.

It's quotes like this that made me enjoy the book because there's a
simplicity to it *and* it's an idea worth considering:

"The only thing capitalism cannot survive is stability. Stability -- true
stability -- is an absence of progress, and a dearth of new wealth."

There's lots more quotes like that.

The first 3/4 of the book is decent, but I really liked the last chapter.
It is cumulative, so it helps to read the rest of it, but I read the whole
thing in a few hours; it's fast reading.

Brian Sobolak
brian at planetshwoop.com
http://www.planetshwoop.com/

If you print it on the side of your backhoe, it must be true.