[UFO Chicago] dhcp noob question

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 12:11:38 PDT 2007

--- "Christopher D. Heer" <cheer at heerfamily.net> wrote:

> On Sun, September 30, 2007 8:58 am, Jesse Becker wrote:
>
> > So basically, server Alpha would handle all of the
> static
> > DHCP assignments, and server Beta would deal with
> dynamic
> > assignments?
>
> No -- I want both server Alpha and server Beta to handle
> the static DHCP
> assignments.  Server Alpha and server Beta would also
> handle dynamics, but
> in order to avoid conflicts, each would have a different
> "pool" of IPs to

Ah!  That makes a lot more sense.

You shouldn't have any problems with that then.  The tricky
part (relatively speaking) is to keep dynamic pools in
sync.  If you don't care about that, then it's fairly
simple from a software point of view.  The burden is now on
you to make sure that the static assignments are kept
consistent.

I would still recommend a delay of some sort before server
Beta replies though, just to minimize the chance of confusion.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2