[UFO Chicago] dhcp noob question

Christopher D. Heer cheer at heerfamily.net
Sat Sep 29 16:27:41 PDT 2007

I have kind of a noob question about redundant DHCP servers.

On my home LAN I have "static" DHCP IPs assigned to pretty much anything
(IP addresses are all tied to MAC addresses).  I also have a small pool of
dynamic IPs for guests or whatever.  This is all done on an Ubuntu box
running dhcp3 (ISC DHCP server).

Is there any reason I can't set this up on a second server?  The second
would have a different "pool" for dynamics, but the same list of static
DHCP assignments.  I would think that PCs would accept an assignment from
whichever server responded first.  Any downfalls that I'm missing?  I
looked into the DHCP redundancy feature, but that seems mainly to
synchronize dynamic assignments.
  Christopher D. Heer -- cheer at heerfamily.net
  http://chrisheer.wordpress.com (blog)