[UFO Chicago] Shell hosting company(ies)?

Nate Riffe inkblot at movealong.org
Thu Sep 6 11:24:24 PDT 2007

Jesse Becker said this (probably recently):
> Hey Nate, what's that shell hosting company you liked?
> Linode?

Yes, that's the one.  Still with them (four years *today*), very happy
with the service.  Almost worked for them, but they're in New Jersey
(blah).

> Anyone else have any other suggestions for shell hosting?
> I just want a place that will let me:
>   1)  SSH
>   2)  dump small-moderate sized files (no more than ~500MB
> at a time)
>   3)  Run small, low CPU programs and scripts.

Um, well, as has been pointed out, Linode doesn't host shells, they
host servers.  They're virtual servers, of course, not your own
machine.  Naturally, you are then able and allowed to do whatever.

By the way, calls to my phone number are routed through an Asterisk
server running on my virtual server at Linode, among other things.

> Yes, I can run all this at home, assuming Comcrap didn't
> suck so much.

I defer to Jordan re: home servers.

-Nate

--