[UFO Chicago] HIPAA regulations?

Eric Ellington e.ellington at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:22:16 PST 2007

I was recently in the hospital, I'm fine and not dying now. Sadly
while I was in I had to fill out and sign about 50 different forms. A
few I put an email address on when requested. Guess what I got in my
inbox today.

"

Fully Licensed Medical Doctors in the USA

788,489 in total – 17,832 emails

34 primary and secondary specialties

Over a dozen sortable fields

This week's special price =  $494

*** Recieve the data below without charge when you buy the Medical
Doctor Database above ***

List of American Pharma Companys execs
Personal email addresses (50000 in total) and names for execs

American Hospital Database
more than 23k hospital administrators in over 7k hospitals [worth over
$300 alone)

US Dentist Contact List
597,000 dentists and dental services ( a $300 value!)

Contact List of US Chiropractors
Complete data for all chiropractors in the USA (a $249 value)

(206) 600-4472

above valid thru Nov 9

"

It seems obvious to me that someone after a week harvested my email
address from the hospital I was at.

I know there are a bunch of HIPAA regulations that are supposed to
safeguard your privacy electronically or otherwise. Does anyone work
in the medical industry and know who I can complain to? I checked out
the HIPAA website but still don't know where to really start, or if
anyone will listen.

--
Eric Ellington
e.ellington at gmail.com