Stupid OSS names (was Re: [UFO Chicago] alternatives to mailman?)

Neil R. Ormos ormos at ripco.com
Mon Jun 4 10:06:06 PDT 2007

Brian Sobolak wrote:

> Larry Garfield wrote:

>> However, that has got to be the stupidest name
>> for an open source project I've ever heard in
>> my entire life... and this coming from someone
>> who works on "Drupal". :-)

> I disagree.  I nominate the entire suite of KDE crap for that award.
>  - KThinkBat
>  - klxdvdrip
>  - KatchTV

> Also, if "enemies of carlotta" is the worst you
> can come up with, you're not trying hard enough.

I think I agree with Larry.  Most KDE names (other
than Konqueror), even if not completely
descriptive, are at least reminiscent of the
function performed by the program.  "Enemies of
Carlotta" is misdescriptive.  It brings to mind a
video game starring an animated Angelina Jolie.
Perhaps there's an Easter Egg that initiates that.

--Neil