[UFO Chicago] Seven ways Solaris can beat Linux

Greg Groth ggroth at gregs-garage.com
Mon Jan 29 09:33:30 PST 2007

On 1/27/2007 8:58 PM, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> I cribbed this from a recent email newsletter I got and thought it was
> interesting.
>
> --
> At a recent Sun Microsystems press event, Sun execs talked up plans to
> market the company's Solaris Unix OS to startups and small-to-midsize
> businesses. "Open source is what [customers] want to go after," said
> Peder Ulander, Sun's vice president of software marketing. "It's not so
> much Linux. Linux just happens to embody open source."
> -->
>
> That's an interesting question:  is your committment to open-source or
> is it to Linux?  Would you consider using Solaris in place of Linux if
> it were GPL?
>
> Is there something about Linux beyond the GPL that makes it attractive?
>
> brian

I'd certainly give it a try.  Unfortunately my experiences with Linux
have always been less than satisfactory.  No matter which distro I have
chosen, there always seems to be some show stopper that throws a wrench
into the works of getting it to do what I want it to do.  I would be
willing to give Solaris a shot to see if my luck would improve.  As much
as I support the GPL & Linux, I still have a larger priority of
usability and maintenance.  Just my $.02, and worth the paper this is
printed on.

Sorry I haven't been around lately.  Wife's new job has her working
weeknights, and I have to play Mr. Mom M-F.  Hopefully I'll be able to
show up again at some point.

Greg Groth