[UFO Chicago] Seven ways Solaris can beat Linux

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 06:40:18 PST 2007

--- Brian Sobolak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:
> I hear you on this. One of the biggest problems was
> always that when you
> went to use one of the commercial distros, it never had
> bash which for
> better or for worse was what so many of us knew.  Or
> emacs.  Or a
> half-decent copy of vi.  etc.

Yep.  I've actually filed bug reports with Sun about some
things link this.  Never went anywhere, naturally.

> But I wonder if they couldn't bridge a lot of this by
> making Solaris
> another build target for RPM.

You can already do this.  RPM is simply a program that move
files around, and writes to a database.  It already runs on
Solaris, and already has (or can easily get) targets for
sparc systems.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/RPM-for-Unix-HOWTO.html
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/jsp/descFile.jsp?url=descAll/rpm_for_solaris

>  Or heck, do what FreeBSD
> did and write a
> Linux emulation layer so 95% or Linux software "just
> worked" on FreeBSD.

They did that too with the "Janus" project as part of
Solaris 10:  http://www.sun.com/2004-0803/feature/

> (Solaris + GNOME
> == profit?)

Also already done--since Solaris 8 I think.

--
Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2