[UFO Chicago] Whining about XWindows

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Dec 3 20:31:05 PST 2007

Larry Garfield wrote:

>> On Mon, December 3, 2007 1:02 am, Larry Garfield wrote:
>>> This is a problem I have not had in... 3 years?  4 years?  Some large
>>> number?
>> So what magic do you use?  X just reads your mind and magically places
>> text where you want it to go?
>>
>> brian
>
> Both Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V and highlight-middle click both just work the way they're
> supposed to?
>
> The problem in the past was different apps that used different clip board temp
> spaces, mostly between gtk and Qt/KDE apps not recognizing each other's clip
> boards.  I've not had that problem in a long time, though, that I can recall.
> I do use about 95% KDE apps, but even then it hasn't been an issue in a long
> time.

Emacs is still weird, since there's really three clipboards in X (the
selection clipboard, the normal copy-and-paste clipboard, and then the
weird third clipboard), and Emacs actually uses the third one.  It can
get confusing.

xclip is awesome.  For instance, I have a script that takes my
selection, uploads it to pastebin, then puts the resulting URL in the
clipboard so I can paste it in IRC.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org