[UFO Chicago] Jewel/Albertson's uses Fedora Linux, but....

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sun Apr 29 16:06:28 PDT 2007

Neil R. Ormos wrote:
> Brian Sobolak wrote:
>

>> So I went to Jewel at midnight to pickup tofu,
>> ginger, and ramen and while browsing through the
>> produce section I snapped this shot:
>
>> <http://www.planetshwoop.com/kernelpanic.jpg>
>
>> Yup, a kernel panic on the "Avenu" kiosk.  You
>> can't see the uname, but in another photo I have
>> it mentions Fedora core 2.6.9
>
> I'm not familiar with the "Avenu" kiosk.  What is
> the purpose of the kiosk, and what would the
> display have provided had it been working?

I've never used one, so I'm not entirely sure.  I believe the point is
that you are able to print coupons based on a profile.

Which reminds me of a business I've had since web 0.7:  I always thought
that you could have a website where you could enter your grocery list.
When you go to the store, it could print out your list and coupons based
  upon what was on the list, and thus steer you towards products that
they (the grocery) want you to buy.  Since your items are stored, it
could keep a list of all the stuff you've picked in the past and suggest
stuff too to get you to buy more things.

Take that, Webvan!