[UFO Chicago] NFS problems

Rory L. O'Connor rory at thewhiteroom.com
Wed Nov 1 14:04:11 PST 2006

having some issues with NFS on a new server arrangement we have.  we
have a storage server, database server, and two web application servers
with their home directories mounted to the storage server via NFS.  All
fronted by a load balancer.  Anyway, this stuff is all super fast
top-of-the line stuff with 64-bit processors and tons of memory.  But it
appears NFS is bottlenecking.  I noticed this when I ran a script on the
webserver that writes a large file to the storage server.  It took a
very long time to run (MUCH longer than our current webserver
arrangement which the new hardware is replacing).  I tailed the file
while the script was running and noticed that it would write, pause,
write, pause, etc.  Like it was reaching a threshold and pausing until
it cleared out.

tried increasing rsize and wsize, and memory limits on the input queue
and it made an initial difference - from 2 minutes down to 10 secs - but
on the old server it runs in 4 seconds (and the old server is old and
slow!).  so it's almost like NFS is making our fancy new hardware
arrangement actually a step BACKWARDS.  our sessions are managed with
text files that will be written over this NFS connection, and though I
don't have a way to test how it will work under heavy load, if writing
is slow for one big file I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's going to be
slow for tons of little ones.

Has anyone used NFS for heavy-load arrangements, or used another
solution like OpenAFS with alot of load?  any ideas are apprciated!

Thanks!