[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian andQuestions on X

jordanb at hafd.org jordanb at hafd.org
Wed May 10 08:17:06 PDT 2006

Brian Sobolak said:

> Umm, it's easy if you've been using Debian for six years.  If you're
> relatively new to the command line, I think it's non-trivial.
>
> http://www.hmug.org/man/8/ifconfig.php

Believe it or not, I did, in fact, set up networking before I'd been
using Debian for six years. Ifconfig is not a difficult tool to use
in the scheme of Unix tools, if he finds Unix tools hard to use then
that's why he's doing this, isn't it? He says he wants to learn so
he's not looking for handholding. But GUI tools will do exactly that:
hold his hand and prevent him from learning how the Unix internals
of the system work.

--
Jordan Bettis -- Chicago Il.
  <http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us>