[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian andQuestions on X

jordanb at hafd.org jordanb at hafd.org
Wed May 10 08:00:09 PDT 2006

Brian Sobolak said:

> jordanb at hafd.org wrote:
>>
>> Brian Sobolak said:
>>
>> It's true that some Linux distros come with clicky-licky admin tools
>> that
>> need a GUI and may be more familiar to a Windows user, but if you're
>> trying to learn the "Unix" way of doing things then you should probably
>> avoid using those tools and learn to do it properly (from the shell)
>> anyway.
>>

> So, to pick an example, is it better to use a GUI tool to setup networking
> or figure out all the shit in the ifconfig man page?
>
> Yes, I'm baiting you,

Um. I've never, ever used a gui to set up networking. Are the ifconfig man
pages poorly written? I can't recall reading them. I've used the route man
page often though and found it to be useful. Ifconfig is a rather
easy-to-use admin tool on the whole. Unless your network is really funky
setting it up is a two-line process. If you want to be a smartass you
should at least pick something that's difficult to do like setting up a
non-postscript printer using gs and lprng.

--
Jordan Bettis -- Chicago Il.
  <http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us>