[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian andQuestions on X

jordanb at hafd.org jordanb at hafd.org
Wed May 10 07:47:31 PDT 2006

Brian Sobolak said:

>> 2) Does it matter what window manager I run?  The two I see mentioned
>> most
>> often are gnome and KDE, but I can't figure out what the real advantages
>> and
>> disadvantages of either is, or whether it's just a matter of taste.
>
> Short answer:  No.
>
> Long answer:  You should come to the meetings to discuss this, cos it
> could take a long time.  Some of the differences between KDE and GNOME are
> "under the covers" and some are about licensing (I believe; that might be
> old info).  They are both good and if you run GNOME you can usually run
> the KDE apps and vice-versa; you aren't locked out.

To be fair you souldn't be worried about all this if you're setting up a
server. Linux runs easily without a GUI and I'd just go ahead and avoid
all the trouble of X and all the shit that runs on top of it until you
decide to set up a desktop.

It's true that some Linux distros come with clicky-licky admin tools that
need a GUI and may be more familiar to a Windows user, but if you're
trying to learn the "Unix" way of doing things then you should probably
avoid using those tools and learn to do it properly (from the shell)
anyway.

--
Jordan Bettis -- Chicago Il.
  <http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us>