[UFO Chicago] Re: Brian's Conversion from FreeBSD to Debian and Questions on X

William Scott Lockwood III wsl3 at lrsehosting.com
Tue May 9 19:44:49 PDT 2006

---==== [ Brian Sobolak ] ===---
> Jesse Becker wrote:
>> Coming in a bit late to the thread...
>> --- Brian Sobolak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:
>>> Btw, I switched to Ubuntu.  Why?  X works out of the box.
>> If you come from *BSD, use Gentoo.  I've heard it's the
>> closest to BSD of all Linux distributions.  (Use a stage3
>> install to save time).
> This is advice I might heed, depending on how things go with Ubuntu.  I
> had tried this as my first distro-of-choice, but after setting it up (I
> used the Minimal install, not the LiveCD), it didn't boot.  I'll give the
> LiveCD a shot before I pick a final final distro.  And it is certainly the
> closest to the BSDs, in how the documentation is laid out, and the absence
> of the word [Ff]ree.
> And I'd prefer to ignore RedHat, because I really don't like RPM.

Give Slackware a look, too. While it is not polished in the way that many
of the other distro's are, if you are used to BSD's init system, you will
understand Slackware right away.

Then, you get slapt-get, and then you have a (minimal at this point,
patches always welcome) apt-like system for package management.

--
Regards,
Scott