[UFO Chicago] ubuntu on new dell laptop

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sun Mar 26 19:10:07 PST 2006

David Fourer said:
> I enjoyed the meeting at the pancake house Thursday night.  I think I
> could do that on a regular basis.

Awesome!  Glad to hear it.

> at the end of this process I get:
> (for conffile in /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/*.conf; do)
> sudo cat $conffile | sed -e 's/RadioState|1/RadioState|0/' > $conffile
> Password:bash: $conffile: ambiguous redirect

This loops through each file that ends in .conf in the /etc/ndis...
directory.  Every file that's found it executes the cat $confile.

You could see if you get the same results if you did each one by hand as
root.

You'd do something like this to test that.
//Don't type lines like this.  They're for your benefit.

 - su   //change to the superuser, or root.  Be careful!
 - cd /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/*.conf  //change to the right dir
 - ls  //find files that end in .conf.  Pick one.
 - cat $conffile | sed -e 's/RadioState|1/RadioState|0/' > $conffile
   //where it says $confile, change it to the name you picked before.

Hope this helps...

Brian Sobolak
brian @ planetshwoop.com
http://www.planetshwoop.com/

"Bad taste is real taste, of course, and good taste is the residue of
someone else's privilege..."  -- David Hickey