[UFO Chicago] Show-and-Tell (vintage Sturmey Archer bike hub)

jordanb at hafd.org jordanb at hafd.org
Tue Mar 21 08:44:57 PST 2006

I recently purchased a 1970 Schwinn Racer with a 1969 Sturmey Archer AW
3-speed planetary gear hub in it, so what was one of the first things I
did? Ride it to Milwaukee, but then after that, Take it Apart!!!

Since it needs a new spring for one of the pinions (so see, there was a
practical reason to take it apart, I had to fix the pinion! ;) ) I'll not
be putting it back together for a few days, which gives UFO the exciting
opportunity to be the forum for the demystification of one of the more
interesting (geeky) parts of a bike, the planetary gear hub!

--
Jordan Bettis -- Chicago Il.
  <http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us>