[UFO Chicago] Chicago BAR camp

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon Mar 20 12:47:59 PST 2006

In case any of us in UFO is interested in getting involved.  I'll probably
get involved.

Subject: [Chicago] Chicago BAR camp
From:    "Jason Rexilius" <jason at hostedlabs.com>
Date:    Mon, March 20, 2006 14:01
To:      chicago at python.org
         chicagogroup-members-list at rubyforge.org
         andy at petdance.com
         chiphpug-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net

Hello all,

  At the last Python users group I attended I mentioned real quickly
that I was going to be starting a BAR camp for chicago. Well that
process has begun and I wanted to tell everyone about it.

  Quick summary for those who don't know the BAR camp concept sprung
from OReilly's FOO camp and is generally a an informal party/conference
about technology innovation and collaboration where participants can
pitch ideas, present their work, or brainstorm on new developments.

The official line goes:

"BarCamp is an ad-hoc un-conference born from the desire for people to
share and learn in an open environment. It is an intense event with
discussions, demos, and interaction from attendees."

  Either way its something you all will be familiar with, but not
language specific.

  The wiki site is up at:

 http://barcampchicago.com/

  You can see about the other BAR camps here:

http://www.sfist.com/archives/2005/08/23/barcamp_2005.php

http://barcamp.org/BarCampAustinI

http://amitgupta.com/blog/shoebox/2006/01/17/barcamp-nyc-its-over/

 Where I am at in the process is just starting to look for a venue (the
biggest and most difficult part).

  Well I hope everyone finds this at least interesting and I welcome any
feedback.  And I really hope some of you participate!  Thanks!

-jason

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/