[UFO Chicago] Solaris 10

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Sat Jul 29 05:55:54 PDT 2006

Douglas Thompson said:
> I was wondering if anyone has had any desktop experience with Solaris 10 for
> x86 and what they thought?  I have a feeling it's probably a good desktop
> for work but was wondering if anyone is using it as a home machine.

It's probably a terrible desktop.  By that I mean:  Sun (and Solaris) don't
care about pretty GUIs, they care about peformance.

So if you want to mimic your production environment and run Solaris and a
copy of Oracle, then it's probably a fine choice.

The problem in the past has always been that hardware support for Solaris is
a drop in the bucket as compared with Linux. For example, how much effort do
you think goes into USB or Firewire support for Solaris?

If you're really keen on it, my advice would be to have a Linux/FreeBSD
workstation, and if you need Solaris for training, etc. then run it headless
on a separate box.  I know there are also some VMWare images for Solaris10.

Brian Sobolak
brian @ planetshwoop.com
http://www.planetshwoop.com/

"Bad taste is real taste, of course, and good taste is the residue of
someone else's privilege..."  -- David Hickey