[UFO Chicago] web hosting

David Fourer dfourer at comcast.net
Sun Jul 9 10:29:59 PDT 2006

I want to get a web host.  Looking for some pointers.  I don't have a
domain name but I don't need anything special.  I need more space than I
get free from my ISP (25mb).

I've been doing photography when I travel and putting together pages of
photos and text for friends to view.  I like this a lot better than
putting the photos on one of those photo hosting sites.  I like to
control the arrangement of photos and text, control fonts and text size,
photo size and shape, for an overall artistic effect.  Eventually I
might add things like recorded narration or music???.  I also have a
small business but I don't advertise outside my neighborhood.  I don't
plan to make this a business site for now.

It seems like any of the free or cheap 1-year or 2-year packages would
work.  I don't need design help.  Some day I might want hit-tracking.  I
might want to make my site search-engine visible some day.  I suppose
the free packages require me to advertise.  I certainly DON'T want
somebodies blinking banner on my page!  I don't see an issue right now
with bandwidth or storage volume.  It would be hard to fill a half gig
with images, unless I start shooting video, which I have no plans to do.

David Fourer