[UFO Chicago] Vmware KILLAz

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Fri Jan 13 07:34:01 PST 2006

QEMU looks like it's very much worth experimenting with.  And if I get any
results, it looks like it's worth documenting too because their
documentation needs some help.

The other tool I keep talking up is Markdown.
<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/>  I prefer the flavor of
this to textile, which does similar things:  convert a simply formatted
text file into XHTML.  I found this when I was looking for a decent
outliner tool (which happens to be how I usually write)--VIMOutliner is
cool, but I couldn't easily get files that I displayed well outside the
outliner software.  Mardown does that.

Anthony LaMantia wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> The Emulation debugging technologies that i was talking about at the
> meeting are free to download at the following links
>
> Qemu:
>
> QEMU is a generic and open source processor emulator which achieves a
> good emulation speed by using dynamic translation.
>
> QEMU has two operating modes:
>
>     * *Full system emulation*. In this mode, QEMU emulates a full system
>       (for example a PC), including a processor and various
>       peripherials. It can be used to launch different Operating Systems
>       without rebooting the PC or to debug system code.
>     * *User mode emulation* (Linux host only). In this mode, QEMU can
>       launch Linux processes compiled for one CPU on another CPU.
>
> An optional proprietary QEMU Accelerator Module
> <http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-accel.html> is available to
> optimize the case where a PC is emulated on a PC. This module enables
> QEMU to run most of the target application code directly on the host
> processor to achieve near native performance.
>
> The supported host and target CPUs are listed in the status page
> <http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/status.html>. For full system
> emulation, the supported Operating Systems are listed here
> <http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ossupport.html>.
>
> http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
>

> Bochs:
>
>    Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator
> written in C++, that runs on most popular platforms. It includes
> emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom BIOS.
> Currently, Bochs can be compiled to emulate a 386, 486, Pentium, Pentium
> Pro or AMD64 CPU, including optional MMX, SSE, SSE2 and 3DNow!
> instructions.
>
> http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
>

> Good Day, Good Luck, Good ... whatever else.
> -Anthony

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/