[UFO Chicago] configuration help with apache SSI

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Tue Jan 3 13:22:21 PST 2006

hello --

I'm trying to get server-side includes (SSI) working on FreeBSD 5-4-STABLE
with apache version 1.3.33.  I *believe* I've done all the configuration
that I need to, but the apache configuration syntax has always been a bit
of a mystery to me.  They (SSI) are turned off by default in FreeBSD (I
assume for security)?

If you can't see any problems but have other suggestions for trying to debug
this, that would be helpful too.

Here are the options I've added to /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:

1.  Under the first <Directory config, I've added Includes like so:

--
#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
    Options Includes Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
--

2.  I've checked that both mod_include and AddModule include are enabled.

LoadModule includes_module    libexec/apache/mod_include.so
AddModule mod_include.c

3.  I've uncommented the server directives for .shtml like so:

   #
   # To use server-parsed HTML files
   #
   AddType text/html .shtml
   AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

(These are configured within an <IfModule mod_mime.c> directive, but it's
where they where in the sample that shipped with apache.)

I've stopped and restarted apache each time after I've made changes.

Any suggestions?  I'm totally lost.

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/