[UFO Chicago] find command problem

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Aug 10 10:54:17 PDT 2006

Kiran Annaiah wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Anybody encounter such a problem while running "find" command?
> I ran the command as:
>
> [root at ccapps /]#  find / -name "gcc" -print
> find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /: this may be a bug in your
> filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.
> Earlier
> results may have failed to include directories that should have been
> searched.
>

> The command runs fine after throwing that warning.
>

> Is there a way to get rid of that? Should i be installing a different
> version
> of the "find" command?

It seems like there isn't a problem with find, the problem is kernel
related.  The Linux Kernel mailing list has some details.

<http://www.google.com/search?q=Hard+link+count+is+wrong+for+%2F&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official>

> Also, if i need to install any linux utilities - which would be a good
> site to
> get them from? Is there a site with a comprehensive list of all the unix
> command utilities?

There are probably like 200,000 sites.  Actually installing them is
usually highly OS-dependant because they can be tied to the kernel
version.  Type 'uname -a' and send it back to the list and we can offer
suggestions.

As for a general resource for learning the command line, I'd highly
recommend O'Reilly's "Unix Power Tools" book.  That's where I learned
goodness like !!, $$, Ctrl-R, backticks, and an explanation of find that
was quite lovely.  IT's not cheap ($70), but well worth it.

They have a sample chapter online:

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/upt3/chapter/ch28.pdf>

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/