[UFO Chicago] OT: Email in the workplace

Greg Groth ggroth at gregs-garage.com
Thu Aug 3 12:54:55 PDT 2006

On 8/3/2006 2:30 PM, Brian Sobolak wrote:
 > Hi --
 >
 > A theorhetical question:  would you take a job where you were prevented
 > from accessing your personal email at the office's network?
 >
 > brian
 >
 > --
 > Brian Sobolak
 > http://www.planetshwoop.com/

Theoretically, how much is the salary?

At age 38, with 5 kids, I find that my pragmatism has slowly eroded my
ideals.

For myself, I would make my decision based on how they are upholding
this policy.  If they are simply blocking traffic through a proxy
server, it would seem to me that this was an attempt to keep the
shenanigans to a minimum and would not bother me all that much.  If they
were monitoring my workstation with a keylogger to ensure compliance,
the salary would have to be pretty good for me to put up with this type
of draconian behavior.

Greg Groth