[UFO Chicago] equality on the internet

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon Apr 24 09:26:11 PDT 2006

David Fourer wrote:
> I hope this has not already been posted.
>
>  From the New Yorker magazine:
> http://www.newyorker.com/printables/talk/060320ta_talk_surowiecki
>
> An op-ed about the end of "common carriage" rule on the Internet.

Two thoughts on this:

1) I wonder when or if the day will come when home users pay for internet
access on a usage basis rather than all you can eat.  I assume that's how
most of the providers are charged by backbone services, so it stands to
reason that sooner or later the costs will come down.

2) It really frustrates me that there are relatively few competitors in
the broadband area--Earthlink, Speakeasy, AT&T, Comcast.  While AT&T (nee
SBC) has become somewhat affordable, it's the only one.

I hope the emerging wireless networks provide some competition, esp. the
Chicago proposal to have municipal wi-fi access.

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/