[UFO Chicago] SMBFS Question

Neil R. Ormos ormos at ripco.com
Thu Apr 13 15:15:37 PDT 2006

Brian Sobolak wrote:
> Neil R. Ormos wrote:

> > Anyone know smbfs?  I'm having a problem allowing
> > users other than root read/write access to an
> > smbfs share.  I think I've carefully read the
> > docs, but there must be some small thing I've
> > overlooked.

> I know this is super obvious, but have you
> checked the logs to see if smbfs is squawking at
> all?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did examine the logs.

The only thing I found was several instances of this:

  [2006/04/12 13:04:49, 0] tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
    tdb(/var/run/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_lock failed on list 13 ltype=1 (Bad file descriptor)

I'm not sure that has anything to do with smbfs.
I thought (and maybe I'm wrong) that the xxx.tdb
files were only used by the Samba server--i.e.,
when exporting something from the local machine,
as opposed to importing from a remote host.  I
looked around, and the only complaints I found
mentioning that specific error message seemed to
be on another topic.

Maybe it would be fixed by upgrading to
Etch/testing.  I just can't help thinking that
it's a cockpit error on my part.

--Neil