[UFO Chicago] GPL question

Jesse Becker jesse_becker at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 14:46:55 CDT 2005

--- Nate Riffe <inkblot at movealong.org> wrote:

> I just had a conversation with someone about what's
> specifically
> required by the GPL and had the following thought....

IANAL (thank $DIETY...)

I'll re-read the GPL tonight, and reply more fully, but I
think that you are required only to provide the source if
you are the an original author or author of a derviative
work.

For example, I write WhizBang 1.0 and release it under the
GPL.  Debian decides to distribute it via their normal
proceedure (but uses a version 2 years old).  You download
the source independent from Debian, compile it, and delete
the source code.  I do *not* think that you can demand that
the Debian project give you the source.  HOWEVER, if they
have also made their own changes to it, they must produce
those on demand.

Of course, I could be completely off my rocker here...

As I said, I re-read the GPL tonight, and see if that
changes things..

Jesse Becker
GPG-fingerprint:  BD00 7AA4 4483 AFCC 82D0  2720 0083 0931 9A2B 06A2