[UFO Chicago] So *that's* what is going to happen to Nextel....

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Nov 9 22:11:41 CST 2005

(Note: I HATE the lack of proper reply-to headers...)

It's not better per se, but it's a patchwork of different frequency bands that
Nextel put together rather than a contiguous block.  Some of them are damned
close to bands that the military uses, and they'd like some more elbow room.

Sprint wants Nextel's business customer base, primarily.  They also want more
bandwidth that's compatible with their network.  So they're buying Nextel,
then trading it to the DoD for a few $$$ and some spectrum to be named later.
Works out great for Sprint, great for the DoD, not so great for current
Nextel customers.

Of course, this was old news a year ago when I was covering it as a reporter
myself.  I don't know why anyone is surprised by it now. :-)