[UFO Chicago] Cleversafe seeking interaction with Chicago-area LUGs

Matt England mengland at cleversafe.com
Wed Nov 9 01:08:06 CST 2005

To Chicago-area Linux and free-operating-system user groups:

Fyi: As a representative of Cleversafe, I plan to sit in on the UFO's (
http://ufo.chicago.il.us/ ) meeting this Thursday at 8pm at the Golden
Nugget at 4229 W. Irving Park to learn more about the UFO and possibly
other similar communities in Chicago.  Cleversafe already works closely
with John Quigley and the IIT LUG ( http://lug.iit.edu/ ).  John, also a
Cleversafe employee, will be attending with me.

More info follows.  Anyone who is interested in learning more about
Cleversafe is welcome to email me and/or attend the UFO meeting this
Thursday at 8pm.

-Matt
mengland at cleversafe.com

Cleversafe Intro
----------------

My name is Matt England, and I'm a co-founder of a company based in Chicago
named Cleversafe.  We believe we have developed the
most-secure-and-reliable means to store data the world has ever seen,
technology that no one else has (including some large players like Globus,
OceanStore, SunGrid, EMC, eVault, LiveVault, Google, Veritas, etc). It's a
software-based solution that implements a grid-like set of servers. This
grid will operate almost exclusively on Linux and BSD machines.

Our motives/goals:

1) We are recruiting more development-and-test employees.
2) We are also looking for an environment to test and use more of our grid
installations in a "stealth" mode (prior to a release of our software in
the first half of 2006) with qualified Linux/BSD sysadmins, even if such
people were not directly employed by Cleversafe.  For those invovled with
the non-employee Beta-type testing, Cleversafe would be interested in
negotiating offers for free use of massive amounts of their future storage
service and the possibility of providing free grid software to said testers.

We think that Linux-user-group communities might be interested in this
technology. Our initial interaction with the Illinois Institute of
Technology's (IIT) LUG has proved to be quite positive, and we are looking
to expand.

More Details
------------

At first glance, our claim to provide the most-secure-and-reliable storage
technology in the world might seem like hyberbole.

However, our initially-filed patent, as well as more on the way, say
otherwise. Further, we have met with many members of the investment
community and found we had no trouble getting funding for our efforts (we
eventually settled on an investment offer from a coalition of angel
investors headed by the co-founder of AOL and founding members of US
Robotics). Also, we have already lined up several large customers that wish
to buy our software once it becomes available.

In short: we think we've hit on something big that absolutely no one else
currently has.

However, we need more Linux-and-BSD qualified people to continue our
large-scale development and testing efforts.  Hence our continued interest
in the free-operating-system communities in Chicago.

For what it's worth, we build our software and systems almost exclusively
on open-source software, including:

* Redhat (Fedora, RHEL/CentOS)
* Debian
* FreeBSD
* (Other Linux-and-BSD OSes to come)
* PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite
* ACE (Adaptive Communication Environment)
* OpenSSL
* Qt
* MinGW
* Bzip2
* Boost
* Xerces

Most of our grid-based software is developed in C++.

The following provides background on the principle Cleversafe co-founders:

Chris Gladwin:

Chris' most notable entrepreneurial achievements include founding Cruise
Technologies and MusicNow.com.  Cruise dominated the wireless-thin-client
market in the early '90s and was way ahead of it's time for mobile,
Internet-based devices. MusicNow.com is a leading online-music service
provider and was recently acquired by AOL. Chris is Clevesafe's
president.  Chris holds a mechanical-engineering degree from MIT.

Matt England:

Matt has worked for several companies (including MTI, Chaparral/DotHill,
and Xyratex) in the enterprise-storage industry developing, servicing,
selling, and marketing software-driven, networked-storage solutions.  Matt
is responsible for all Cleversafe software development.  Matt holds a
computer-engineering degree from UIUC.