[UFO Chicago] NAT in 2.6

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Mar 1 18:41:31 CST 2005

Hi UFOers.  Long time no see.  But I fear I come to you with ulterior
motives.

In some upgrade on my Debian Unstable box my 2.4 kernel broke with
respect to my sound card, upsetting my otherwise happy world.  After
trying all sorts of things, I eventually got a 2.6 stock Debian kernel
to work with the sound card.  But then my NAT stopped working.  I think
that's all changed for 2.6, so maybe I just need to revisit it entirely.
  So I come to you!

Right now I have a script in /etc/init.d/ipmasq, that just runs
/usr/sbin/ipmasq, and I think by some magic I configured it at one time,
though the stuff in /etc/ipmasq certainly isn't my doing.  I don't want
to do anything fancy, just simple NAT, not passing through any incoming
connections, very simple.  What's the best way to go about this?  There
seems to be a couple packages in Debian, and maybe more if I knew what
the proper term was these days (like: did ipchains obsolete iptables, or
the other way around?)

So what you recommend?

Thanks...
--