[UFO Chicago] Hydrogen gas?

Williamson, Brad Brad.Williamson at uop.com
Tue Jun 14 15:43:27 CDT 2005

Electrolysis of water would certainly work as well, and is easy to do
unless you plan on recompressing it. If you plan on filling a (small)
"hot air balloon" type of thing, it would be fairly simple to do. I have
not done the math to see how much H2 gas you would need for 30 pounds of
lift, but I would start here:

http://www.chem.uiuc.edu/clcwebsite/elec.html

Generally, one electrode bubbles H2, and the other bubbles O2, you need
a contraption to capture the H2 bubbles on their way out of the water,
so an inverted container over the H2 side electrode should suffice. How
much voltage? How to get it? Will it explode? These are questions left
to the character wanting to levitate things with Hydrogen ;-)

I would use distilled water, less of a short-circuit effect...

Science class was fun!  (Booom!)

Brad