[UFO Chicago] follow-up from Thursday--music and computers

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon Jun 13 12:05:39 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:52:00PM -0500, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> So after all that talk about computers and music - I wanted to look into
this a little more.  Jeremiah, could you forward a link to the CMusic
(sp?) program you mentioned?

Csound:
http://www.csounds.com/

The website is called csounds but the application is called csound. The
csound.com website is a different group selling computer audio
equipement. I don't know anyone who shops there.

Here is a classic audio example of a csound composition in csound (note it
is not demonstating csound capacity. It merely scratches the surface)

Trapped in Convert (written July 1979 in music11, revised June 1986 in
Csound, and revised July 1996 in SHARCsound):

http://freaknet.org/martin/audio/csound/trapped.ogg

If you don't like music without melody:
http://www.csounds.com/boulanger/music/baton/10solemn2.mp3

The above piece uses a radio baton and Soprano as its main
instrumentation.
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Courses/252/sensors/node27.html#SECTION00063000000000000000

Here is the history of csound:
http://www.csounds.com/history/index.html

Here are two links for a quick survey on the history of computer music
(note computer music. Electronic music/sound synthesis goes earlier):

http://arts.ucsc.edu/ems/music/equipment/computers/history/history.html
http://csounds.com/mathews/index.html

I did mention cmusic as being one of the many forks of the Muisc n (The
original synthesix program created by Max Mathews at Bell labs)
synthesizer. A more commonly used fork would be CLM/CM (Common Lisp
Music/Common Music).
I have played around with this one before but not a great deal. Many
people use snd as a front end to CLM because CLM is embedded inside the
snd sound editor.

CLM:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/clm/

snd:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/

You will notice that both of the above programs are links to ccrma (Center
For Computer Research in Music and Acoustics).

Of other interest in Gnu/Linux music/sound software you might want to
check out David Philips website. He has a bunch of categorized links with
brief description of each package. Check it out here:

http://linux-sound.org/

Thanks,
Jeremiah

--