[UFO Chicago] Re: Solaris 10?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Feb 3 16:43:38 CST 2005

Larry Garfield wrote:

>>> Complete with hardware, or just a software distribution?  I'm be
>>> surprised if someone hadn't already made the latter.
>>

>> Sure let's do hardware, I could probably prototype a mini-ITX based
>> black box system for under $1000.
>

> I think you'd have to cut that in half to get any real market, if that's
> where you're going.  But still, let's see if the software's been done
> already.

Hasn't it been done a whole bunch of times?  I've installed firewalls
where I could check a box and they'd also be samba boxes, and even
better ones probably had another checkbox for Apache and so on.  It's a
whole market, and there's lots of players (at least those few times when
I've paid attention to that sort of thing).  And maybe Sun just didn't
feel they could win big in a market with so many players; maybe they
were wrong, maybe they just weren't willing to pursue something without
large profit potential, or maybe they just lack imagination.  But it's
not like Cobalt's demise left an unfilled void or anything.