[UFO Chicago] Re: Solaris 10?

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Feb 3 14:39:03 CST 2005

Nate Riffe said:
> Brian Sobolak said this (probably recently):
>> IMHO, I figured that Sun would have learned from the Mozilla project
>> that
>> just going open source doesn't magically solve problems for you.
>
> Netscape wasn't a hardware company.  Having said that, Sun's gotten
> pretty damn good at not keeping pace with their own hardware
> development and driving aquisitions into the ground[1].
>
> [1] I don't actually know about such things, I'm just regurgitating
> part of a conversation I had a few days ago on the subject.

Cobalt is a decent example.  Talk about a great idea:  have a small,
headless linux box that does VPN, mail, web, print serving, file serving
ala Samba and just about anything else.  Your tiny office could use it and
support it themselves for the most part.

Sun bought it and then totally screwed it up.  It is no more.

Any decent linux distros that do this?  I remember finding one a few years
ago, but it was bought by a telecom company and deprecated until it died.

Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/