[UFO Chicago] free operating systems [was: Solaris 10?]

Neil R. Ormos ormos at ripco.com
Thu Feb 3 10:45:11 CST 2005

Nate Riffe wrote:
> Me said this (probably recently):
>> Carey Tyler Schug said this (probably recently):
>>> Does free in UFO refer to licensing costs or
>>> does it really mean "the source is publicly
>>> available"?
>> Free as in speech.

> Of course, the only real qualification[1] for
> coming to UFO is that you have some vague
> interest in free operating systems, or at least
> free software.

This has been asked and answered, in pretty much
the same way, before.  Whether the "Free" in UFO
means "free beer," "free speech," or "free to use,
modify, and redistribute," afficionados of
operating systems with any of these
characteristics are welcome.  And if you're
running VM/370 (or MTS, for that matter), I'd love
to hear about it, especially if it's on a
non-S/360-derived machine.

> [1] By "real qualification" I mean, people will
> wonder why you're there, and perhaps harbor
> guarded fascination with whatever it is that
> comes out of your mouth[2], if you don't.

> [2] Rambling about Art Bell and Area 51
> drive-bys while illustrating your presentation
> with high-quality renderings of supposed alien
> technology is totally fascinating.

IIRC, Brian has been suggesting putting up UFO
posters at college campuses.  I hope he puts a
couple up at this institution of higher learning:

Considering the proximity of our venue to this
venerable institution, I'm surprised we don't get
more such visitors:

  Center For Ufo Studies
  2457 W Peterson Ave
  Chicago, IL 60659