[UFO Chicago] Personal Groupware server

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat Nov 27 19:06:51 CST 2004

I will soon be setting up a new server for my home network.  If possible
I'm going to setup a full groupware server on it (why?  Because I can!),
so I'm looking for suggestions on which to use.  The system itself will
be running Debian Sarge.

The only one I'm familiar with generally is Kolab, although I've not
used it myself.  I do NOT want something that is primarily web based,
although having a webmail front end to fall back on is a plus.  For
efficiency I'd rather use maildir than mbox for email storage.  I want
to use Kontact as the client at home, and then just general IMAP access
elsewhere that doesn't support Kontact directly (like on my Palm).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good server to use?  Any tips on
Kolab or others for things to do/not do?  Alternatively if that is not
going to work for some reason, what do people recommend as a good
IMAP-maildir solution instead?  (I'd rather do the full groupware server
for the experience, and to have something to sync my Palm to, but mail
is the only really critical part.)

Suggestions welcome. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it
to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."  -- Thomas Jefferson