[UFO Chicago] I give you this file in order to have your advise (meeting announcement)

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Thu May 6 15:07:14 CDT 2004

Neil R. Ormos said:
> Jordan Bettis wrote:
>
>> Well  I've received nothing  but praise  for the
>> "meetings every two weeks" proposal, so:

Well I didn't have much time before, but I'd like to
respond now just to throw beer on the fire, as it were.

> The problem with meetings "every two weeks" is
> that the meetings will then come at different
> times of the month.

Well for regulars like you, if you can remember what
you did last week, it's not a problem. Here's a
flowchart to illistrate how that would work:

   START HERE

  ____|_____           ____________
 /           \        |            |
| Was there   |       | There is   |
| a meeting   |--NO-->| a meeting  |
| last week?  |       | This week. |
 \___________/        |____________|
      |        ____________
      |       |            |
      |       | There isn't|
     YES----->| a meeting  |
              | this week. |
              |____________|

People who aren't regulars can go by the website
or the meeting announcement.

> People have a hard enough
> time remembering when the meetings will be when
> they are consistently on the 2nd and 4th
> Thursdays.

That's because they have to know what the date is
to determine if there's a meeting. The above is
simpler.

> Also, because other events are
> scheduled on consistent ordinal days of the
> week/month (e.g., 2nd Thursday), it makes it more
> difficult to plan.

Do you typically have plans?

> Wouldn't it be better to continue meeting on the
> 2nd and 4th Thursdays, and have a supplemental
> meeting on the 5th Thursday, if one occurs in the
> month.  Perhaps the 5th Thursda meeting could be
> somewhere that stays open later, like Gulliver's.

That's a possibility but Gulliver's is really hard
to get to.

> I didn't know I had to object because, other than
> your original proposal, I saw no discussion,
> favorable or unfavorable, on the list, so it
> appeared that the proposal was going nowhere.

It takes two to discuss.

--
Jordan Bettis -- Chicago Il.
  <http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us>