[UFO Chicago] Newbie question.. How to install kernel source on Suse 9

Sachin Karol skarol1 at uic.edu
Fri Jan 9 14:17:40 CST 2004

Hi everyone,
    Could anyone tell me how to install the kernel source packages for
Suse 9.0 both with AND without Yast2. I am trying to load the drivers
for my NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 card on Inspiron 5150. The driver I am
using is NVIDIA-Linux-x86.1.0-4496-pkg2.run

The log is as follows:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' creation time:
Tue Jan  6 12:06:11 2004

option status:
  license pre-accepted    : false
  update                  : false
  force update            : false
  expert                  : false
  uninstall               : false
  driver info             : false
  no precompiled interface: false
  no ncurses color        : false
  query latest driver ver : false
  OpenGL header files     : false
  no questions            : false
  silent                  : false
  XFree86 install prefix  : /usr/X11R6
  OpenGL install prefix   : /usr
  Installer install prefix: /usr
  kernel include path     : (not specified)
  kernel install path     : (not specified)
  proc mount point        : /proc
  ui                      : (not specified)
  tmpdir                  : /tmp
  ftp site                : ftp://download.nvidia.com

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would
you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for
your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)?
(Answer: No)
-> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this
means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface.
ERROR: Unable to find the kernel header files for the currently running
kernel.
       Please make sure you have installed the kernel header files for
your
       kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have
the
       'kernel-source' rpm installed.  If you know the correct kernel
header
       files are installed, you may specify the kernel include path with
the
       '--kernel-include-path' commandline option.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
       '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find
suggestions
       on fixing installation problems in the README available on the
Linux
       driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

----

I am unable to locate the kernel source in /usr/src

Please advice..

Thanks
Sachin