[UFO Chicago] Reminder: Community Tech Day Tomorrow 4/24/04 noon-4:00 pm

John Stanton stanton at kacschgo.org
Fri Apr 23 12:49:21 CDT 2004

Hello all,

As everybody gears up for Sunday's install-fest, I just wanted to put in
one last plug for the Second Annual Chicago
Community Tech Day (CTD) tomorrow, Saturday April 24, 2004, from Noon
until 4:00 pm  at Korean American Community Services, 4300 N. California
Ave, Chicago IL

http://communitytechday.org

All of the days high-lights revolve around aspects of Free and Open
Source Technologies and community based organizations.

Community Tech Day  highlights:

- booths and demonstrations by free tech training programs for young
and adults in Chicago

- Free and Open Source based Software for your computer. We will be
giving away the latest media from SME, IPCOP, Fedora core 1+, Knoppix,
OpenCd, GNUWIN2, Slax, Libranet and others

-Free classes and lightning talks:

-web-design w/mozilla
-photo-editing with the Gimp
-Introduction to Linux
-3-D animation with Blender
-protecting your home computer from viruses (for windows users :-) ),
-SME server admin tricks
-How to build a Cantenna
-Tech Planning for NPO's and small business
-Ask Steve about LTSP at the Open Source Cafe

  all participants take the software home at the end of the class

-A four hour non-stop LAN party using Free and Open Source based software

- a raffle of several refurbished and internet ready computer systems
running Linux for only $1.00 (thanks to the hard work of Jeff Y)

-  FREE pizza and soda.

CTD will  feature a first of its kind public round table focused on
bringing a community driven, ubiquitous Wifi cloud to Chicago. Speakers
from four organizations, Wigle  http://wigle.net, The Center for
Neighborhood Technology http://cnt.org , Free The Future
http://freethefuture.com and The Prairie Net Community Network
http://www.prairienet.org/ will conduct a public forum and talk-back at
this event.  Each of these groups has already implemented or is about to
implement these technologies. This is your chance to learn about the
technology, and to become involved in the roll out.

As a complement to the WiFi forum the good folks at
http://freethefuture.com will be leading a class on building your own
CANTENNA. We will raffle the beast for $1.00 after the class.

Last years event was really fun, and we think that this years will be
2^n times betta!

This is a free public event, sponsered by NPOTechs and KACS and all are
welcome.

Thanks and we hope to see you there.

John