[UFO Chicago] Detecting a H4X0R

d.w. harks dave at psys.org
Fri Sep 12 10:08:30 CDT 2003

Could very well be -- look for rootkits (usually directories stored in
sneaky places, like in /dev/ named after device files or .xx -style
directories in places.) and for binaries on your system that don't match
what RPM says they should be, size-wise.

Also, if there's anything running that normally isn't, look at killing it
off. It depends a lot on how good the hacker is -- some of them will kill
the last log, others won't.

Use netstat to look for active connections that shouldn't be there, and use
ethereal to watch your network for traffic attempting to go to DALNet when
you're not.

Good luck -- can be a real pain to track these things down.

dave

David W. Harks <dave at psys.org>  http://dwblog.psys.org