[UFO Chicago] SBC/Yahoo DSL Service

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
30 Mar 2003 14:02:15 -0600

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 13:13, Richard Royston wrote:
> I "chose" SBC/Ameritech because no-one else would/could provide a DSL
> line. Their email facility, however, sucks. I travel a fair bit, and I
> can neither forward my email nor access their POP server from most PC's
> that are publically available in libraries, internet cafes &c. Nor can I
> access my email directly from the web. So I have to have 2 email
> addresses, one on SBC/Ameritech and one on the web at hotmail. It gets
> very confusing for my correspondents and very tedious for me. If I
> "upgrade" I will be able to access my SBC/Ameritech (or, rather,
> SBC/Yahoo) email directly on the web as well as from a POP server. I
> don't have to do that, but it would represent a very useful enhancement
> for me.

I would strongly recommend you decouple your email from your DSL
provider.  There are several registrars that offer domain names with
POP/webmail email for a very reasonable price (I think godaddy does,
maybe there are other suggestions of registrars).  It gives you control
over the email, because you can purchase it from anyone on the internet,
not just the local monopoly.  And you can change providers without
changing addresses.

  Ian