[UFO Chicago] Sun IPX serial console

Jesse Becker jesse_becker@yahoo.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:36:11 -0800 (PST)

So I just picked up a Sun IPX, and am trying to access it
via serial console.

I have a working null modem cable, and it's attached to
my laptop.  I can connect to it using this command:
   cu -e -s9600 -l /dev/ttyS0
(Yes, I have to force even parity), and it boots
properly.
I can also get to the ok prompt after sending a break
signal; this is where my troubles start...

I appear to not have an enter key, backspace or delete,
nor
do the various ctrl- keys work either.  I can type all
letters and numbers and punctuation correctly (such as
"boot -s"), but hitting [enter] does nothing.
Furthermore,
[backspace] has no effect, and [delete] prints "~3".

The following ctrl-[key] combos do something:
  ctrl-w:   erases the entire line
  ctrl-] (twice):  Prints "Any word at all is a candidate.
Use words to see the entire dictionary"

  ctrl-m:  nothing
  ctrl-?:  nothing
  ctrl-j:  Assuming that "str" is whatever is typed at
the ok prompt, it effectively does this:  printf("\n%s
?\n",str) before the next ok prompt.

  ctrl-c:  see ctrl-j
  ctrl-x:  see ctrl-j
  ctrl-r:  prints \n, then typed text, but not a new prompt
  ctrl-t:  ASM code...  currently loops through these
instructions:
      440cbc     sub     %o1, 1, %o1
      440cc0     orcc    %g0, %o1, %g0
      440cc4     stb     %o5, [%o0]
      440cc8     bgt     440cbc
      440ccc     add     %o0, 1, %o0

  ctrl-l:  prints a command history, piped through
something akin to 'more'

So, any ideas?

--Jesse