[UFO Chicago] debian woody on an imac rev. b -- success! (fwd)

Lukas Eklund leklund@tastytronic.net
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:49:15 -0500

Quoting Peter A. Peterson II:
> I'm not sure how it was done with Old World macs, but it seems, from
> the documentation I read, to be considerably more elaborate.

The oldworld macs had OpenFirmware as well but it wasn't near as full
featured as the current OF. You can boot them with either the Quik
bootloader, which is a bit quirky or BootX. BootX requires a MacOS
system to start booting which it interrupts and dumps you into linux.
I found that BootX was easier to install than Quik, but that's becuase
I was starting with a MacOS partition on an old 7600 (curently
gathering dust under my desk).

Also, Apple themselves stared development of Linux for the Mac with
MkLinux. It was transitioned to an community project several years
back and is still being worked on lightly. It was built on top of the
Mach microkernel and is an ancestor of the Mac OS X.

--
Lukas Eklund
leklund@tastytronic.net